Providence Girls’ Catholic School
In 1860 a new elementary school was opened by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Cluny, on the site of St. George’s College, on the ground floor of the Archbishop’s house, which later became part of St. Joseph’s Convent, Port of Spain. Due to a lack of space, the school was transferred to the north-eastern corner of St. Joseph’s Convent, and then to the “Providence Building” adjoining it in 1866. From here onwards, it was known as Providence Intermediate School.
Now known as Providence Girls’ Catholic School the school has seen many successes across areas such as academics, sport and the visual and performing arts. The school prides itself on providing a sound, moral and religious education for girls, who today as women, fill positions of importance and responsibility in Trinidadian society. These women have been shaped in no small measure by the school’s philosophy that – education must be for the whole of a person for the whole of life.